Alpha Omega Offroad
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Alpha Omega Offroad is a 4x4 Club and Christian Ministry.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
God is good all the time and all the time God is good!

OCTOBER 24/25 RIDE

Go down 
+6
k_enn
JeeperX
UpnOver
Milkman
eagleblazer
XterraXtian
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
XterraXtian
Admin
XterraXtian

OCTOBER 24/25 RIDE Empty
PostSubject: OCTOBER 24/25 RIDE   OCTOBER 24/25 RIDE EmptySun Sep 13, 2009 3:58 pm

Hey guys! I thought I'd post up early about the October 24/25th run because we decided to have it in VA and drive the 105 miles of the Skyline Drive. Shenandoah National Park is located in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia just west of Washington, D.C. and stretches over 100 miles from its northern entrance at Front Royal to its southern entrance near Waynesboro, NC.

We are working out the details (and do NOT worry about a 'change of plans', this trip is happening no matter what!!!). But we will begin at Front Royal on saturday morning around 9am. Now, it is up to YOU whether you wan to be there already by traveling on friday night to get there or if you are going to leave early on saturday morning to get there by 9. From what I gather, it is about 2.5 hours from the Bel Air, MD area to the beginning of Skyline Drive at Front Royal. (anyone that knows better than me or catches me typing incorrect information, please say so, as I have never been there and am in the process of soaking in as much information as I can right now!) Wink

THIS DRIVE IS SCENIC AND DOES NOT REQUIRE A 4X4 VEHICLE!!!

The fee per vehicle is $15.00 per private, non-commercial vehicle! (so worth it) Pass is valid for day of purchase and next six days! (includes passenger cars, pickup trucks, RVs, vans, and converted buses)

We are working through where we would all stay...we have a couple of options and will post them when we learn more. It should be somewhat busy on this trip, as the leaves will be changed and the leaf-peepers will be out. So I want to figure out how many people plan to go. I heard from another club that there's a Days Inn that will section off a block of rooms. That may be an option for us. Thy also offer a 24 hour fee-free cancellation...in case we book too many rooms.

Check out more stuff @ http://www.blueridgeskyline.com/

This isa beautiful trip and fun for people who just want to get out and away from it all. The speed limit is 30mph PERIOD, or you will be pulled over. But, hey, we're wheelers! We're used to much lower speeds!!! We have much interest from outside the club to have trips like this one and we are glad to meet people from all over and bring people nearer to their sport and hopefully closer to Jesus...even if just to be surrounded by other Christians. (*note to anyone just cruising through....you DO NOT need to be a Christian to join the club or any ride)

So, that's the plan as of right now...it was hatched this morning form the genius minds of Sam and Dennis (with a small bit of mine) while we were bringing in more people at our church's connecting sunday event. (more on that in another thread later on....keep your eyes peeled in the Ministry section in the next few days!!!)

Let me know if you're in!!!
yeah
Back to top Go down
http://myxterra.blogspot.com
eagleblazer

eagleblazer

OCTOBER 24/25 RIDE Empty
PostSubject: Re: OCTOBER 24/25 RIDE   OCTOBER 24/25 RIDE EmptySun Sep 13, 2009 5:44 pm

I'm out on this one. I'll be at my annual Men's Freedom Retreat for the 12th year in a row.
Back to top Go down
Milkman

Milkman

OCTOBER 24/25 RIDE Empty
PostSubject: Re: OCTOBER 24/25 RIDE   OCTOBER 24/25 RIDE EmptySun Sep 13, 2009 6:18 pm

No ball game that weekend, so we'll be there. There is a nice trail at the southern end of the Skyline drive, if anyone is interested.
Back to top Go down
UpnOver

UpnOver

OCTOBER 24/25 RIDE Empty
PostSubject: Re: OCTOBER 24/25 RIDE   OCTOBER 24/25 RIDE EmptySun Sep 13, 2009 8:59 pm

My grandparents were in that area.. Its been a few years since I have been down but there was a campground around a lake that was beautiful.. I believe the name was something like Serandoah Lake. Let me find out the details from my parents and let you know..

I loved going there as a kid.. If its not too far off the route and is still decent you might want to try that..

The Rock Raiders did this trip two years ago and loved it..
Back to top Go down
JeeperX
Admin
JeeperX

OCTOBER 24/25 RIDE Empty
PostSubject: Re: OCTOBER 24/25 RIDE   OCTOBER 24/25 RIDE EmptySun Sep 13, 2009 10:10 pm

I will start working on getting that weekend off now. I know it will be a lot of fun!
Back to top Go down
k_enn

k_enn

OCTOBER 24/25 RIDE Empty
PostSubject: Re: OCTOBER 24/25 RIDE   OCTOBER 24/25 RIDE EmptyMon Sep 14, 2009 10:33 am

Too bad it is so late in the year. That is a fantastic road and I would love to take it again on the motorcycle. But late October will be a little too cold to ride.

I have a pretty busy October, so I am not likely to make this event.

k_enn
Back to top Go down

OCTOBER 24/25 RIDE Empty
PostSubject: Re: OCTOBER 24/25 RIDE   OCTOBER 24/25 RIDE EmptyMon Sep 14, 2009 6:02 pm

IS THIS A TWO DAY RIDE, or would everybody head home on Sunday morning? The reason that I'm asking is because I MAY be missing a lot of worship services at my church over the next few weeks. If possible, I'd like to be back home for that Sunday service, especially since that is the date of our annual congregational meeting.

If we go north to south on Saturday, would there be an "expressway" to get us back to near the MD/VA border?
Back to top Go down
XterraXtian
Admin
XterraXtian

OCTOBER 24/25 RIDE Empty
PostSubject: Re: OCTOBER 24/25 RIDE   OCTOBER 24/25 RIDE EmptyTue Sep 15, 2009 3:56 am

Safari wrote:
IS THIS A TWO DAY RIDE? If possible, I'd like to be back home for that Sunday service, especially since that is the date of our annual congregational meeting.

Yes it is. On the second day (sunday), I plan to find us a church for worship and then we will head back up the way we came, seeing it all from a different perspective....but you can leave at any time you wish.

Safari wrote:
If we go north to south on Saturday, would there be an "expressway" to get us back to near the MD/VA border?

We don't plan on taking one, so I didn't look. Google Maps is a great place to check for anyone that plans to take a different route home.

Hope you can make it!
yeah
Back to top Go down
eagleblazer

eagleblazer

OCTOBER 24/25 RIDE Empty
PostSubject: Re: OCTOBER 24/25 RIDE   OCTOBER 24/25 RIDE EmptyTue Sep 15, 2009 11:51 pm

Safari wrote:
IS THIS A TWO DAY RIDE, or would everybody head home on Sunday morning? The reason that I'm asking is because I MAY be missing a lot of worship services at my church over the next few weeks. If possible, I'd like to be back home for that Sunday service, especially since that is the date of our annual congregational meeting.

don't know how far down they are going but RT. 81 parallels Skyline and is what you would take to get back faster.
Back to top Go down
tim13con

tim13con

OCTOBER 24/25 RIDE Empty
PostSubject: Re: OCTOBER 24/25 RIDE   OCTOBER 24/25 RIDE EmptyWed Sep 16, 2009 10:04 pm

eagleblazer wrote:
I'm out on this one. I'll be at my annual Men's Freedom Retreat for the 12th year in a row.

Where is that held? I might be going. I have a Men's retreat that weekend but I don't know details I just signed up without asking questions lol. I think I will be at the same thing too.
Back to top Go down
JeeperX
Admin
JeeperX

OCTOBER 24/25 RIDE Empty
PostSubject: Re: OCTOBER 24/25 RIDE   OCTOBER 24/25 RIDE EmptyTue Sep 22, 2009 5:36 pm

Here is information that was found by Samatha.

Sleep Inn in Harrisonburg - they have availability (right now at least). The rate is $119.00 per night (double beds) or 109.99 (for a King) plus tax. They would not let me hold rooms at all at this point. Credit card is required.

Days Inn Harrisonburg- they have some amenities (like indoor pool, etc). They only have nine rooms left. She let me put seven rooms on temporary hold for 48 hours without charging me. So I did this just in case. (www.daysinnjmu.com). They have several different rates, but right now are the most expensive. If you want to be able to cancel $145.00 per night, plus tax. If you do not want the option to cancel $123.25 per night. I may be able to talk them in to giving us the rate that Comfort Inn quoted if we are interested.

Comfort Inn Harrisonburg- They have availability. If we have at least 7 couples (7 rooms) they will give us a rate of 99.99 per night plus tax. www.comfortinn.com/hotel-harrisonburg-virginia-VA429

Harrisonburg is thirty minutes south of Endless Caverns and Luray Caverns. If anyone need to go home on Sunday, we are right off 1-81. So it is an easy trip back.

We would prefer the Comfort Inn so we need to get people registered ASAP

THANKS SAM props

I
Back to top Go down
eagleblazer

eagleblazer

OCTOBER 24/25 RIDE Empty
PostSubject: Re: OCTOBER 24/25 RIDE   OCTOBER 24/25 RIDE EmptyWed Sep 23, 2009 12:49 am

The sleep inn is the best place in Harrisonburg for the price in my opinion. we stayed there when I led the CC trip back in 2007. Flagpole knob is only about 45 mins from there........... sunny .........just sayin.
Back to top Go down
XterraXtian
Admin
XterraXtian

OCTOBER 24/25 RIDE Empty
PostSubject: Re: OCTOBER 24/25 RIDE   OCTOBER 24/25 RIDE EmptyWed Sep 23, 2009 2:57 am

Okay, like Chris posted, Samantha has been doing some investigating for us.

Those are some of the options. I like Comfort Inn because they have always been great to/for us. (Sleep and Comfort are sister hotels) They said they'd give us a rate of $99/night if we get 7 rooms. I'd like for everyone that thinks they may be going on this trip to please try to decide if you are staying overnight on that saturday and respond by thursday....if you can.

If not....Sam and I are both reserving our rooms on thursday and she is going to ask the girl she spoke with to see if we can put Alpha/Omega in as a group and when you call to make your reservation, you tell them you're with our group...and once we reach 7 reservations, we will get it for $99 instead of $119. ($20 isn't that huge a difference, but it'd be nice)

If you have another preference, do not hesitate to make your reservations wherever you'd like....we aer just trying to make it easier for those that want to do a group thing.

WE ARE MEETING AT THE ENTRANCE OF
SKYLINE DRIVE @ FRONT ROYAL AT 10AM

Those of us caravaning from up north will probably stop somewhere for breakfast.

The plan (though VERY LOOSELY made) is to meet at 10, head down the drive and stop as often as everyone wants (I tend to take a LOT of pictures...so will probably be stopping alot!) and taking it leisurely. We will stop for a picnic lunch (don't forget to bring one!) along the way and we plan to do 65 miles of the 105 miles of the drive. The speed limit is 35 and there will be a LOT of other vehicles, so it'll definitely take all day to go 60 miles.

Then we'll go to the hotel and get situated and get ready for dinner. We'll figure out where to go for dinner. Probably a place that'll be good for everyone's tastes.

Tentatively, I would like....

Sunday morning, meeting somewhere for breakfast, then heading up to Luray Caverns (I'll post more information on them ASAP) it'll take about 40-45 minutes up 81 I believe. THEN, Luray is right next to the Thornton Gap entrance (at rt 211) on Skyline Drive between mile marker 31 and 32. We can hop back on Skyline drive and do the 31 miles to Front Royal and the head home.....

I cannot WAIT for this trip!!!!
yeah bliss dance

PS...could we please only have posts pertaining to those GOING on the trip....I do not want to fill it up with posts as to who can't go and why (we understand it is far, etc...and we hope to see you in November at RC) Just keep it to those who are going, so we can keep the plans flowing. Thanks guys!!!!!
group hug

Last edited by XterraXtian on Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
XterraXtian
Admin
XterraXtian

OCTOBER 24/25 RIDE Empty
PostSubject: Re: OCTOBER 24/25 RIDE   OCTOBER 24/25 RIDE EmptyThu Sep 24, 2009 1:45 am

Okay....so far it's;

DEFINITELY:
Me and Chris
Samantha and Dennis
Mr and Mrs Watts
Keith and family

SOMEWHERE BETWEEN DEFINITELY AND MAYBE:
Greg, Terri, and Jaylee

MAYBE:
Angela, Jeff and Grace(?)

I know it's a month away, but please consider making this one, it's going to be beautiful!!!! We'll be there right at the peak of the fall foliage. Lodging was minimum and going quickly in the outskirt towns....and fully booked inside.

Last edited by XterraXtian on Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
JeeperX
Admin
JeeperX

OCTOBER 24/25 RIDE Empty
PostSubject: Re: OCTOBER 24/25 RIDE   OCTOBER 24/25 RIDE EmptySat Sep 26, 2009 9:10 pm

Okay...so it's set up that Comfort Inn in Harrisonburg, VA has blocked off seven rooms for Alpha/Omega Offroad.

If you're going on the trip and are staying overnight, give them a call and let them know that you are with A/O. If the 7 rooms fill, it's $99/night. Till then it's $119. I'm about to send 15 invitations to people from church that signed a paper because they were interested in a trip like this. Don't wait too long, because I'm telling them the same thing about the hotel.

Hope to see you there!!!
Back to top Go down
4thehardway

4thehardway

OCTOBER 24/25 RIDE Empty
PostSubject: Re: OCTOBER 24/25 RIDE   OCTOBER 24/25 RIDE EmptyWed Sep 30, 2009 4:35 pm

Pattey,

You can put me, Terri, and Jayelee down for a MAYBE with a 99% chance of DEFINITELY. She's been asking me to do a trip like this for a while, so when I told her A/O was planning one, she's excited. We just have to work out the details and give you guys a call in the next few days.

Talk to you soon.

Greg
TOYMN8R
Back to top Go down
XterraXtian
Admin
XterraXtian

OCTOBER 24/25 RIDE Empty
PostSubject: Re: OCTOBER 24/25 RIDE   OCTOBER 24/25 RIDE EmptyThu Oct 01, 2009 2:31 am

Greg, I'll call you tomorrow afternoon...but if you get this before then, please consider calling to make the reservation at the Comfort Inn (tell them you're with Alpha/Omega and they'll but you in one of the blocked off rooms http://www.comfortinn.com/hotel-harrisonburg-virginia-VA429 ) and even if you guys decide you won't be able to come, you can cancel it without fees.

I just know you guys and you usually end up coming when you say you are....so I definitely want you to be able to get a room. They do not charge your credit card until that day, but do require it for reservation. Call them!

Can't wait to see you guys! I'm bringing my sad sad Blazer. Until it's lifted, this is the only type of run that thing will see!!!

yeah
Back to top Go down
AutoDoc

OCTOBER 24/25 RIDE Empty
PostSubject: Re: OCTOBER 24/25 RIDE   OCTOBER 24/25 RIDE EmptySun Oct 04, 2009 9:11 pm

I'm in! Mrs. AutoDoc's in on this one, too! Reservations made.
Back to top Go down
http://www.autodocweb.net
XterraXtian
Admin
XterraXtian

OCTOBER 24/25 RIDE Empty
PostSubject: Re: OCTOBER 24/25 RIDE   OCTOBER 24/25 RIDE EmptyMon Oct 05, 2009 2:11 am

dance awesome, Doc!!!!
Back to top Go down
XterraXtian
Admin
XterraXtian

OCTOBER 24/25 RIDE Empty
PostSubject: Re: OCTOBER 24/25 RIDE   OCTOBER 24/25 RIDE EmptyTue Oct 06, 2009 5:20 pm

UPDATE: Samantha called the hotel and there are 12 rooms already booked by our people! That's awesome!!! And that's before a couple people I know were calling today had even made theirs!!!

That being said, with 12 rooms already gone and hotels filling up with leaf-peepers every day....be sure to make your reservation ASAP if you haven't already! And, of course, as far as I have been told, it'll be $99/night for everyone.

yeah
Back to top Go down
JeeperX
Admin
JeeperX

OCTOBER 24/25 RIDE Empty
PostSubject: Re: OCTOBER 24/25 RIDE   OCTOBER 24/25 RIDE EmptyThu Oct 08, 2009 9:04 pm

I will be there for this or I will be unemployed again!

It will be great to see everyone! Really looking forward to a weekend away.
Back to top Go down
JeeperX
Admin
JeeperX

OCTOBER 24/25 RIDE Empty
PostSubject: Re: OCTOBER 24/25 RIDE   OCTOBER 24/25 RIDE EmptySun Oct 11, 2009 10:28 pm

Ok I am approved for the time off!! cheers

Cannot wait to see everyone. flag
Back to top Go down
XterraXtian
Admin
XterraXtian

OCTOBER 24/25 RIDE Empty
PostSubject: Re: OCTOBER 24/25 RIDE   OCTOBER 24/25 RIDE EmptyMon Oct 12, 2009 1:49 pm

Okay...the people I know are coming are:

Chris and Pattey
Den and Samantha
Dennis' mom and Dad
Auto Doc and Mrs Autodoc
Paula and Darryl
Connie and Ron
Mikey from Adams Jeep
Greg and Terri and Jaylee
Keith and family

(I'll assume everyone above has their room reserved)

Anyone else that is coming but not on the list, let me know.

FOR THE PEOPLE LEAVING FROM THE FOREST HILL/BEL AIR AREA:
We will be meeting at Mountain Christian Church's parking lot at 6am on saturday morning.
And hopefully we can figure out a place for breakfast along the way.

yeah
Back to top Go down
Milkman

Milkman

OCTOBER 24/25 RIDE Empty
PostSubject: Re: OCTOBER 24/25 RIDE   OCTOBER 24/25 RIDE EmptyTue Oct 13, 2009 3:54 pm

We will be meeting y'all Saturday morning. We'll do the drive, have dinner and then head home. Need Sunday to get ready for a trip to Florida.
Back to top Go down
XterraXtian
Admin
XterraXtian

OCTOBER 24/25 RIDE Empty
PostSubject: Re: OCTOBER 24/25 RIDE   OCTOBER 24/25 RIDE EmptyTue Oct 13, 2009 5:03 pm

cheers Sounds great!!!! See you around 10 at Front Royal!!! Let me know if you need my cell #.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

OCTOBER 24/25 RIDE Empty
PostSubject: Re: OCTOBER 24/25 RIDE   OCTOBER 24/25 RIDE Empty

Back to top Go down

OCTOBER 24/25 RIDE
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next