Alpha Omega Offroad
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Alpha Omega Offroad is a 4x4 Club and Christian Ministry.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
God is good all the time and all the time God is good!

Shawn Laity

Go down 
AuthorMessage
XterraXtian
Admin
XterraXtian

Shawn Laity  Empty
PostSubject: Shawn Laity    Shawn Laity  EmptyThu Jul 15, 2010 5:39 pm

Hey everyone....wasn't sure where to put this one. There was a tragic accident recently when a tree fell and hit and killed Shawn Laity as he was driving his truck down the road, leaving behind his wife (who was also in the truck) and a young daughter. He's well known in the wheeling community and there are several people, clubs, groups and even individuals that are stepping up to do things for his family.

Below is a thread on the RC forum about it and also a picture of a sticker that Zach from AtoZ FABRICATIONS (another place you should check out for your wheeling needs!) made in memory of Shawn. 100% of the proceeds go to his family.

I didn't personally know Shawn. Maybe we all crossed paths with him at some point and just didn't realize. Either way, I will be purchasing a sticker for me and one for Chris and using them proudly. It's what a community (this being the wheeling one!) does. I'm happy that any little bit helps his family.

I'm hoping that some of you feel the same and let me know if you want one and how many. I'm still waiting for word from Zach on the price and if he'll have some at the PA Jeep show. I'll post up as soon as he answers.

We're also trying to think up a way to raise some money for them. We'll let you know once we get settled on an idea.

http://www.rc4x4.org/rcforum/index.php/topic,10554.msg71795.html#new

Last edited by XJXtian on Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://myxterra.blogspot.com
XterraXtian
Admin
XterraXtian

Shawn Laity  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shawn Laity    Shawn Laity  EmptyThu Jul 15, 2010 5:45 pm

here's the news article:

Kenhorst man killed when tree falls on truck in Cumru
Victim's passenger also injured in 'act of God'
By Jason A. Kahl
Reading Eagle

Fire police place traffic barriers on Route 724 near the scene of a fatal accident Friday in Cumru Township.
A 37-year-old Kenhorst man was killed in a freak accident Friday night when a tree fell onto his pickup truck as he drove along Route 724 in Cumru Township, township police said.

Shawn M. Laity was pronounced dead at the scene of the crash at 8:56 by Deputy Ronald C. Peters of the Berks County coroner's office. He died from a head injury and the death was ruled accidental.

Laity's wife, Corinne, was in the truck with him but she suffered only minor injuries, investigators said.

Laity was the 19th person killed in accidents on Berks roads this year.

The accident occurred about 8:15 on Route 724 just east of Valley Stream Road.

Police said the tree that fell onto the westbound truck was rotted through and struck the cab on the driver's side above where Laity was sitting behind the wheel. Police said the tree was at least 15 inches in diameter.

"I'm pretty sure he was killed instantly," an officer at the scene said. "It was an act of God. A split-second either way and there probably would not have even been an accident or anyone injured."

Passers-by who called 9-1-1 to report the accident said that Laity appeared to have been injured by one of the tree limbs.

He was not breathing when police and paramedics arrived minutes later, officials said.

Fire police closed Route 724 between Interstate 176 and Route 10 for several hours while police investigated.

The winding two-lane country road was reopened shortly before 11:30, according to emergency workers at the scene.

A large number of trees fell across southern Berks County a day earlier when a strong line of thunderstorms passed through the area.

The storms also produced a lot of rain, which could have saturated the ground and contributed to a rotten tree falling a day later, according a senior meteorologist at AccuWeather in State College.

"There was nothing weather-related today that would have caused the tree to fall," meteorologist Alan R. Reppert said. "But it very well could be that Thursday's storms could've helped saturate the ground and given the tree a better chance to fall. I would not be surprised."
Back to top Go down
http://myxterra.blogspot.com

Shawn Laity
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Alpha Omega Offroad :: TRAIL RUNS/OUTREACH EVENTS :: OUTREACH and SERVING EVENTS-
Jump to: