Alpha Omega Offroad is a 4x4 Club and Christian Ministry.

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
God is good all the time and all the time God is good!

Share | 

Camp of the Woods Retreat - President's Weekend

Go down 
AuthorMessage
k_enn

PostSubject: Camp of the Woods Retreat - President's Weekend   Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:07 pm

I thought I would just toss out a suggestion for a weekend retreat over President's Day Weekend in February.

I have attended the Camp of the Woods retreat a number of years, and it has always been a wonderful and enlightening experience. I thought I would toss out a suggestion that Alpha/Omega members may want to make it a retreat for the club. Here are the details:

It is held at Camp of the Woods, a non-denominational Christian resort and conference center. It is located in the Adirondacks, about 45 minutes above Albany, New York in the town of Speculator. The facilities include modern lodging in the the lodge, excellent meals (the last time I was there their chef was from the Culinary Institute of America, the premier culinary school in the country), a conference center, and a speaker (in the past, they have always been great). You can arrive Friday or Saturday, and leave Sunday or Monday - whatever works in you budget and schedule.

There are usually three worship/teaching sessions. The worship program is good, and the teaching sessions depend upon the particular guest speaker that year. In the past they have ranged from detailed investigation of a small scriptural passage, to a presentation on recent issues in religion (that one included a presentation on the premise raised in the Da Vinci Code, and a discussion on the James Ossuary). I have always left the event being spiritually uplifted and enlightened.

There is also plenty of free time with various activities. There is usually ice skating, cross country skiing, tubing/sledding, an indoor gymnasium with basketball court, volleyball equipment, table tennis, shuffleboard, and a rock climbing wall. The lodge also has an indoor pool. In the evening, after the worship service/presentation, the guest usually gather in the activity room for snacks, fellowship, and playing family games. (My church group usually gets up a killer game of Uno). The ground are pretty large, and it is a great place to go for a walk. (My church has a 20 year tradition of taking a walk around the entire grounds at midnight on Saturday night - no matter how cold it is. If there is interest, we could join them. One year it was about 20 below zero when we went out -- crazy fun).

Here is a link to the website regarding the upcoming President's weekend retreat. Also, be sure to click on the link to see the flyer.

http://www.camp-of-the-woods.org/Conference_Season/COTW-Con-special-Presidents-Day.shtml

I know it may be a bit of drive for many of you, but it is a three day weekend. I thought it would be an excellent opportunity for us to gather in fellowship and worship. It would give us all a chance to relax and get to know each other better in a Christian, family atmosphere. If there is interest, let me know. I should reserve rooms by early January, as this retreat usually gets fully booked.

k_enn
Back to top Go down
XterraXtian
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Camp of the Woods Retreat - President's Weekend   Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:20 pm

cheers I totally wanna do this!!!! We will definitely be looking into it!

I also LOVE LOVE LOVE the idea of the midnight walk! UNO is fun. We have a game called APPLES TO APPLES and it's a BLAST! I'm looking forward to checking into this. We'll have to check Chris' schedule too!

Admin

PostSubject: Re: Camp of the Woods Retreat - President's Weekend   Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:09 pm

This sounds great! Would love to do something like this-going to check the schedule!
Back to top Go down
eagleblazer

PostSubject: Re: Camp of the Woods Retreat - President's Weekend   Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:33 am

Carla and I would love to do this but it is almost a 8 hr drive from here which means it would be like10 hours 1 way. To make it worth while it would have to be a 5 day thing and leaving that long for me is probably out at that time of year because of the snow plow contracts I might have to honor. Looks awesome though.
Back to top Go down
k_enn

PostSubject: Re: Camp of the Woods Retreat - President's Weekend   Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:09 pm

Bump.

If there is interest, the rooms will need to be booked in the first week of January. I hear they are filling up fast, and are even asking my church if we will be using all the rooms we reserved (the answer is yes).

k_enn
Back to top Go down
XterraXtian
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Camp of the Woods Retreat - President's Weekend   Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:14 pm

what were te fees again? (I'm being lazy.....I'll check it out later)

unfortunately, Chris works at least once one weekend day, every weekend.

But, we'll see.

PostSubject: Re: Camp of the Woods Retreat - President's Weekend   Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:33 am

Here is a rate sheet put out by my church:

Quote :

REGISTRATION & RATES 2010
Minimum 2 nights stay*

ADULTS PP rate (Add $11.50 for extra lunch per adult person for early arrival or late departure - lesser rates for children for extra lunch)
3 nights & 8 meals inc. Fri. dinner $227.75
3 nights & 7 meals $210.25
[Fri – Sun or Sat – Mon]
*2 nights & 6 meals inc. dinner [Fri dinner – Sun lunch] $159.50
*2 nights & 5 meals [Sat dinner – Mon breakfast] $148.00
[Arrival on Sat for lunch + $11.50]

CHILDREN 12-15
3 nights 8 meals $129.40
3 nights 7 meals $115.15
2 nights 6 meals [Fri dinner – Sun noon] $ 91.60
2 nights 5 meals [Fri – Sun lunch] $ 77.35
2 nights 5 meals [Sat dinner – Mon breakfast] $ 83.60
[Arriving Sat. for lunch + $8.00]

CHILDREN 8-11
3 nights 8 meals $ 90.00
3 nights 7 meal $ 80.75
2 nights 6 meals [Fri dinner – Sun lunch] $ 64.50
2 nights 5 meals [Fri – Sun lunch] $ 55.25
2 nights 5 meals [Sat dinner – Mon breakfast] $ 57.75
[Arriving Sat. for lunch + $6.75]

CHILDREN 5-7
3 nights 8 meals $ 63.20
3 nights 7 meals $ 57.20
2 nights 6 meals [Fri dinner – Sun lunch] $ 45.30
2 nights 5 meals [Fri – Sun lunch] $ 39.30
2 nights 5 meals [Sat dinner – Mon breakfast] $ 40.55
[Arriving Sat. for lunch + $4.75]

CHILDREN 1-4 [lodging only – no charge meals]
3 nights $12.60 2 nights $8.40

All room rates based on 2 adults.

The rates are posted on the website -- so you can also calculate the amount is you have trouble following the above list. Just figure when you want to arrive, when you want to leave, and how many meals in between.

My wife and I usually do 2 nights and 5 meals, arriving Saturday and leaving Monday around noon time. (We usually get there around noon time, but grab a breakfast/lunch on the way up). So $300 per couple for a great get-away weekend is not bad -- nice rooms and good food.

k_enn
Back to top Go down
eagleblazer

PostSubject: Re: Camp of the Woods Retreat - President's Weekend   Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:40 am

Very Happy That's a great deal. Carla and I would love to go and are really tempted but it is hard to plan a trip that time of year as I have snow plow and salt contracts. nothing like cuddling in the mountains. comfort
Back to top Go down
XterraXtian
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Camp of the Woods Retreat - President's Weekend   Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:17 pm

Chris is working. He may have that sunday off...but to travel for one day, I don't know.

But I know that we will try to PLAN on it with vacation time for next year. We really want to go.

Have fun and let us know how it was! cheers

PostSubject: Re: Camp of the Woods Retreat - President's Weekend   

Back to top Go down

Camp of the Woods Retreat - President's Weekend
Page 1 of 1