Alpha Omega Offroad
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Alpha Omega Offroad is a 4x4 Club and Christian Ministry.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
God is good all the time and all the time God is good!

Portable Winch

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
NotLost

NotLost

Portable Winch Empty
PostSubject: Portable Winch   Portable Winch EmptyFri Jul 01, 2011 9:07 am

I know this isn’t “best practice” for winch mounting, but after getting stuck and needing one in the rear, I decided that when I got one it was going to be hitch mount.

Well, got one at the last RCRocks. With this configuration, I can mount the one unit to the front or back of either of our rigs. I realize I’ll have to watch cable angle, but every thing’s rated around 9k, so if I don’t do anything stupid, it should be fine.

To save money, instead of running permanent wires to the rear, I’m going to make jumpers cables clamps on one and the plug on the other end.

Portable Winch 100_3310

Portable Winch 100_3311

Portable Winch 100_3312
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/pdlong123456789
XterraXtian
Admin
XterraXtian

Portable Winch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Portable Winch   Portable Winch EmptySat Jul 02, 2011 2:45 am

yeah yeah yeah

I like it!!! Great pics!!! The sticker looks awesome!
Back to top Go down
http://myxterra.blogspot.com
BlackMagic KJ

BlackMagic KJ

Portable Winch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Portable Winch   Portable Winch EmptySun Jul 17, 2011 6:48 pm

Wow pete it looks awesome!!!!!!

cheers
Back to top Go down
NotLost

NotLost

Portable Winch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Portable Winch   Portable Winch EmptySun Jul 17, 2011 7:39 pm

BlackMagic KJ wrote:
Wow pete it looks awesome!!!!!!

Thanks.

Hey, where were you Saturday!? There were only a few KJ's there - you shoulda been one of them!
Back to top Go down
BlackMagic KJ

BlackMagic KJ

Portable Winch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Portable Winch   Portable Winch EmptySun Jul 17, 2011 9:12 pm

hahhaha i saw. i wish i coulda been there but, i had just gotten back from orientation for college friday, and i was celebrating my 18th b-day early since my dad is travelling for 2 months next week.

i really wanna go next year! im so jealous of the black renegade with the bumpers! those are so sick!!! lol!
Back to top Go down
BlackMagic KJ

BlackMagic KJ

Portable Winch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Portable Winch   Portable Winch EmptyTue Nov 01, 2011 8:59 pm

What brand winch are you running? im looking into winches for occassional use so im not buying a warn at the moment. I am leaning towards a smittybuilt XRC-8 Comp series winch right now.

Any suggestions or information?
Back to top Go down
NotLost

NotLost

Portable Winch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Portable Winch   Portable Winch EmptyWed Nov 02, 2011 6:32 pm

Its a rough country 9k syth rope... Cost 400

Right now harbor frieght has 9k on sale for 350, 12k for 400 wire line
Back to top Go down
NotLost

NotLost

Portable Winch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Portable Winch   Portable Winch EmptyWed Nov 09, 2011 10:17 am

Actually, Mike, the RC is 9.5k, if that matters...
Back to top Go down
BlackMagic KJ

BlackMagic KJ

Portable Winch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Portable Winch   Portable Winch EmptyWed Feb 29, 2012 4:12 pm

NotLost, since you have had the winch for awhile got a question..

Hows the reliability of it? is it worth getting?

Im stuck between the warn VR8000 with synthetic line ($657 @ Quadratec), the smittybuilt XRC-8 (synthetic) ($450 quadratec), mile marker SEC8 scout synthetic ($560) and the rough country u have..

Any idea of the reliability of the smittybuilt or milemarker winch brands?

i want a winch that will be reliable even though im not gonna use it all the time.. i really want the new warn VR series cause i get name brand warn, but i want to check on the others first b4 i lay down 660+ on a warn that im not going to use all the time.
Back to top Go down
NotLost

NotLost

Portable Winch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Portable Winch   Portable Winch EmptyThu Mar 08, 2012 11:03 pm

Guess its like anything else, pay some for name, some for features, some for quality.

I've only used it a few times, but worked fine.

Have u seen that quadratech has a branded winch? Its inexpensive, but I don't think they'd gamble with their reputation.
Back to top Go down
TJ

TJ

Portable Winch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Portable Winch   Portable Winch EmptyTue Mar 13, 2012 5:19 pm

Cheap winches have always had a place in off roading....winches for those who will be ok w/o a winch.

Essentially, if you need it to work, as in if you got stuck and couldn't get unstuck, you'd be in danger, or suffer a consequence of sufficient concern, that if doing it over again, you'd have either sprung for a better winch, or not gone to where you got stuck.

If you are in a "Mission Critical" situation (You spend the night in the boonies/lose your job on Monday, etc...) then you want equipment you can count on.

If you are hunting rabbits, and your gun jams/misfires, etc...all you lose is a rabbit.

If you are hunting Lions, and the same thing happens, you ARE the rabbit - and you wish you'd sprung for the better rifle.

If you wheel were a winch is handy, but not having one is no big deal, sure, if it doesn't work...so what.

The other cheap winch issue is TIME/Duty Cycle.

Some cheap winches have very short duty cycles...meaning they overheat if you let them run too long....and too long might be 90 seconds, and then waiting 15 minutes for it to cool off enough to pull again.

Some cheap winches are also using deep gearing to get the rated PULL weights...meaning its like your 10 speed bike in 1st gear....lots of RPM to go a small distance, etc.

They can typically pull a line with zero load on it OK....but they bog down as the weight ramps up.

So the 9,500 lb rated winch can ONLY pull 9,500 lb on the first wrap of line on the spool, and as soon as a second wrap is spooled on, they are only able to pull say 9k, then 8k, and so forth,...some dropping to ~ 40% or less of the TOTAL RATING. (~3,800 lb)

Now imagine that you have a rig in the pine bog, sunken to the frame in sucking mud, the kind that pulls your boots off, etc.

Lets say it would take a 80' pull to get you out, and that you'd need to apply the GVWR of the rig to make it move (You'd need more, but we'll go with the GWVR, as everyone was brainwashed to use 1.5 x GVWR to PICK the winch...Bad Dogma)

So if your rig's GVWR is 5,200 lb...you can't recover it....your winch is too weak...DONE. (You could go a few feet, but then the spooled line would have raised the effective gearing too high, and the winch would overload)

We'' make it easier...you only need to pull it 80' it at 1/2 GVWR to get out, so 2,600 lb pull will work.

At that load, you can do 3 feet per minute.

You can pull 90 seconds, then wait 15 minutes.....

OK, its 12 noon -

OK, 80' to go, and you pull 90 seconds at 3'/m = 4.5'

You went 4.5', and have 75.5' to go....and are letting it cool 15 min....(I'll cheat it to 14 min 30 seconds to make the math easier...)

OK, its now ~12:16

You go another 4.5', and wait...

At 12:32, another 4.5'

At 12:48, another 4.5'

(Its about 18 4.5' pulls to get out)

So, ~ 284 minutes after you started, you are finally free!

cheers

Its now going on 5 pm, and its time to go home.

strut

Do the same pull with a good winch that can do the entire 80' in one shot at say 9' per minute, and you start at 12 noon -

12:09 - DONE - Wheel the rest of the day.

cheers cheers

Now, there are those of my budz that ignore the cooling period that is required, and the winches work a few times once in a while, then burn out...and they take them back to HF, or whatever, and get a new one, and they're ok with that.

I don't KNOW any one right now with a Warn VR that I've wheeled with yet - but, as to make the winches cheaper, the problem is that parts are downgraded to make it cheaper. High duty cycle parts are more expensive...and they are the first to go.

There's nothing magical about the name "Warn", if they downgrade parts to compete with the Chinese junk, but assemble it with American labor, its STILL more expensive...and will be less reliable.

The warranties on almost all the winches are decent enough, the el cheapos fail soon enough that the replacements are almost always under warranty, and the Warns, etc, essentially don't fail, but have a lifetime warranty. (ALL winches fail, its just a proportion thing...)

Of the el cheapos I HAVE been out with in the field, the H2O series seem to be pretty good as a compromise. The water sealing is especially good, and the speed is not as horrible as some for example.

If you have to go cheap, I might look at them.

Back to top Go down
http://www.NORA4X4.com
BlackMagic KJ

BlackMagic KJ

Portable Winch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Portable Winch   Portable Winch EmptyWed Mar 14, 2012 10:38 am

I appreciate it. Im definitely leaning towars the smittybilts, cause i have talked to a lot of people and done the research and they are the best bang for the buck.
Back to top Go down
NotLost

NotLost

Portable Winch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Portable Winch   Portable Winch EmptySun May 13, 2012 7:41 pm

Inexpensive isn’t always a good deal, and expensive isn’t always the best product, and sometimes you can strike a balance.

Anyway, just more to think about, while it’s on sale:

http://www.harborfreight.com/winches.html?limit=all
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Portable Winch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Portable Winch   Portable Winch Empty

Back to top Go down

Portable Winch
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Alpha Omega Offroad :: GENERAL DISCUSSION :: MEMBERS RIGS-