Alpha Omega Offroad
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Alpha Omega Offroad is a 4x4 Club and Christian Ministry.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
God is good all the time and all the time God is good!

Help with Re-gearing.

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
BlackMagic KJ

BlackMagic KJ

Help with Re-gearing. Empty
PostSubject: Help with Re-gearing.   Help with Re-gearing. EmptyMon May 16, 2011 5:27 pm

hey yall. my next project is that im planning on regearing from stock ratios up to 4.10's to get some speed, wheel spin, and mileage back.

My question is do i just need to purchase new ring and pinion gears for front and rear or do i need other stuff?

Also any suggestions on brands or places to buy from that have good parts without breaking the bank?

Appreciate the help yall! thumbs up
Back to top Go down
TJ

TJ

PostSubject: Re: Help with Re-gearing.   Help with Re-gearing. EmptyMon May 16, 2011 6:24 pm

I don't know what axles/diffs you are using, or your current gearing.....but, sometimes, the new gears need a different carrier...

For example, on the D44 for example, IIRC, we only needed a new carrier if the stock gears were less than 3.73, but at 3.73 or over, I think 4.10's went right in.

That might be a Dana thing. I'm not sure if the KJ you have is D30/D35 or D44, etc....but, that's a potential issue to find out about.

Also, depending on your current gears and planned tire size, etc....a 4.10 might not be perfect either...

For example, if the OEM's are 3.73, 3.55, 3.21, or one of the other common gearings.....your MPG might go DOWN with 4.10's...as the 4.10's will RAISE your RPM at any given speed/gear.

They would also mean you'd have LESS wheel speed for any given RPM (spin).

You'd also have LESS SPEED, but your ACCELERATION would improve.

Does this make sense?

geek
Back to top Go down
http://www.NORA4X4.com
JeeperX
Admin
JeeperX

PostSubject: Re: Help with Re-gearing.   Help with Re-gearing. EmptyWed May 18, 2011 8:40 pm

what he said

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Help with Re-gearing.   Help with Re-gearing. Empty

Back to top Go down

Help with Re-gearing.
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Alpha Omega Offroad :: TECH QUESTIONS/ANSWERS :: MECHANICAL QUESTIONS-
Jump to: